“What did I think about before you touched my thigh? Let me say this: I’m going to touch you until my fingers fall off. If my fingers don’t fall off, I will hold your hand even if it’s sweaty. And let me say this: You are lovelier than clouds that look like lovely things. I have only loved a few times and the last time was when you rubbed my neck under the monkey bars. We weren’t much younger than we are now. I still have the same haircut. You still have only one dimple. It’s on your left cheek and it looks like you fell on a pebble. I love that it looks like you fell on a pebble. Let me say this: You taste like candy canes. There was a candy cane tree in my old neighborhood. My neighbor hung candy canes on the branches of the willow and I snatched them in the middle of the night. It was December when I rode my bike the quickest, like I was going somewhere to meet you. I like you more than the candy cane tree. Let me say this: I am uncomfortable in my own skin, so I hold your face. I hold your face and your hips but mostly your face. You have a lovely face. Let me say this: I love you like monsters like scaring little kids. I make a list of words I can use to diagram your body: petite, mellifluous, comely, milk, necessary. Please, forgive the humming; you see I rarely taste candy canes in March. When I don’t taste you I taste sweat. Not good sweat, mind you, sweaty sweat from the men’s locker room. Sometimes I taste pizza, but that’s only because I loved pizza first. Let me say this: My love for pizza was fleeting. I was young and naive and thought that extra toppings meant something. These are fine days because they end with you. Let me just say this: I’m going to kiss you until my lips fall off. If my lips don’t fall off, I will kiss up your spine until I run out of spine. Then I’ll start over.”
— "Notes on a Candy Cane Tree," Gregory Sherl (via commovente)
7:25 pm • 5 December 2013 • 3,035 notes
What We Can Learn From The Largest International Study On Rape That’s Been Conducted So Far
- On average, about one in four men included in the study said they had raped someone at some point in their lives. One in ten had raped someone who wasn’t their romantic partner.
- The UN survey found that rape between married partners was more prevalent than rape among people who were not in a romantic relationship
- Nearly half of the respondents who said they had raped at least once went on to rape multiple victims. Nearly 23 percent said they had raped two to three people, 12 percent say they had raped four to ten people, and about 4 percent said they had raped more than ten people.
- More than half of the study’s respondents who admitted they had violated someone’s consent were teenagers when they first raped someone. Most sexual crimes recorded in the study occurred when men were between the ages of 15 and 19.
- Among the men who acknowledged they had sexually assaulted someone else, more than 70 percent of them said they did it because of “sexual entitlement.” Forty percent said they were angry or wanted to punish the woman. About half of the men said they did not feel guilty.
- Just 23 percent of the men who said they had raped someone had actually been imprisoned for their crimes.
Oh yeah we definitely don’t need feminism
11:20 am • 5 December 2013 • 506 notes
1. I love my car a lot and her name is Maude Davolva and she rocks, except for how she broke down today for realz. Yay for having old cars that fall apart.
2. When multiple smoke detectors have low batteries and beep every 30 seconds from 12am to 2am and you take the batteries out, bike to the store and buy new ones (because your old ass car broke down) and you replace the batteries, and you shut off the power to the whole house AND there’s two dogs shaking and hyperventilating, and they STILL don’t stop beeping, it’s okay to have a meltdown.
3. The end.
1:03 am • 17 November 2013
then: college student in my hometown
now: farm intern in this desert of eternal sunshine; teaching myself guitar naked on lonely afternoons, fermentation, DIY everything, sewing; head-hairless; OWNING THOSE FUCKING CARHARTTS GOD I WILL NEVER STOP TALKING ABOUT THEM; caterpillar murderer; carrot chomper; 6am-pink-mountain-sunrise-Billy-Joel-dance-partier; actual human being.
wow I think I might finally be alive
you’re perfect and I love you
4:55 pm • 11 November 2013 • 4 notes
queenanneofcleves asked: Just wanted to say I wish I could see you feature at Words on Fire on Sunday! Good luck, you are amazing. :)
I just saw this! thank you so much, you are amazing as well! :)
4:52 pm • 11 November 2013 • 2 notes
161 - 08.11.2013
"Bonnet on Black 5"
(omg… there were so many more of these but this one… this one has the it. Definitely embiggen)
(also… thanks to my wife for wasting some of her time and makeup on my face)
headingsouth | photos by jlw | my faves so far
ALL of the bonnets.
10:47 pm • 8 November 2013 • 50 notes
I just discovered a folder of old photos of Taximouse, a taxidermy cello-playing mouse an ex-boyfriend gave me for my 25th birthday. I brought Taximouse with me on tour when I was in Rasputina and took pictures of him during our breakneck travels across America….until his arm broke off.
2:58 pm • 6 November 2013 • 80 notes
“The rape joke is that you were eight.
The rape joke is that at the time,
you didn’t know people had sex to express love.
The rape joke is that the only other person
who’d seen you naked was your mom.
The rape joke is that he called you ‘beautiful’ first.
The rape joke is that he held your hands together
and told you to ‘try harder’ when you struggled.
The rape joke is that you believed him
when he told you were overreacting.
The rape joke is that your grandma
called him a nice boy and asked him to stay for dinner.
The rape joke is that he winked at you
when you apologized to your parents for not coming
downstairs the first time you were called.
The rape joke is that his friends
high-fived him for “getting some.”
The rape joke is that you still don’t feel like
you’ve regrown the pieces he stole.
The rape joke is that he was conceived when his
dad slapped himself into his snoring mother.
The rape joke is that her friends told her
she was lucky someone wanted her.
The rape joke is that each year in the United States,
32,000 other women’s bellies
ripen with life against their will.
The rape joke is that he never learned
to touch without scarring.
The rape joke is that your classmate thinks
‘have you seen what asses look like in yoga pants?’
is an argument.
The rape joke is your new boyfriend kissing
you and telling you he ‘raped’ his math test.
The rape joke is that ‘Why are girls so scared of rape? Y’all should feel pride that a guy risked his life in jail just to fuck you’
is a popular Tweet right now.
The rape joke is that you wake up to
the memory of him laughing,
“now that wasn’t so bad, was it?”
The rape joke is that it’s been twelve years and
you still quiver when someone touches you.
The rape joke is that he hasn’t stopped laughing.
The rape joke is that you forgot how to.”
— The Rape Joke | Lora Mathis
Inspired by this. (via soggypoetry)
The rape joke isn’t funny and never has been (via conor-broberst)
2:01 pm • 5 November 2013 • 164,983 notes
The thing where your feelings have feelings and those feelings have their own little sub-feelings, so eat gelato and cry about nothing.
8:49 pm • 4 November 2013